ELIGIBILITY AND COMPETITIONS
- Only fully paid-up members of the Club who have an official WHS handicap index of 54 or less, unless otherwise specified, may take part in Club Competitions. To be eligible to win prizes entrants to invitation competitions (Am guests etc.) must have an officially recognised WHS handicap index. Players who do not have a handicap index may not enter. All members must have a handicap index at the time of sign up to all knock out competitions on Intelligentgolf. Handicap restrictions may apply to some competitions. Entrants must have entered/recorded a minimum of 6 qualifying or acceptable scores in the past 12 months to be eligible to win trophies or board competitions. Players with less than 6 acceptable scores may enter board competitions (except knock outs) but will not be eligible for the award of trophies but may still win prize money.
- Country members may play in and may win any Club Competition apart from knock-out competitions, subject to the handicap requirements above.
- Players sign up on IG in advance to show their intent to play and enter the competition on the day on IG via their mobile device or in the terminal in The Hub or Ladies’ locker room before playing.
- Where the same competition is played on a Saturday and Tuesday the results are combined.
- A player can only play on either the Saturday or the Tuesday in any combined competition (and not even with a different partner in a pairs competition).
- All singles stroke play competitions (Medals and Stablefords) will be run as Qualifying Competitions for handicap purposes unless playing conditions for such competitions cannot be provided, or if some other consideration arises or unless otherwise stated on IG.
- Qualifying Competition cannot be held when more than two temporary greens are in play and a 9 hole Qualifying Competition cannot be held when more than 1 temporary green is in play on the relevant 9 holes.
- Ties in stroke play competitions are decided by countback on the last 9, 6, 3 or 1 hole(s).
- Cards can be marked by any member with a WHS handicap index.
- Golfer of the Year Trophies (GOTY) are awarded in 3 divisions: Silver 0-22.4; Bronze I 22.5 – 28.4 and Bronze II 28.5 to 54. Points are awarded to the first 5 ladies in each division for the following competitions:- Holden Salver, Jubilee Plate, Judy George Trophy, Millennium Trophy, Crowder-Clark-Dew Trophy, Howell Trophy, September Medal, Spring and Autumn Meetings with the winner getting 5 points, second 4 points and so on. The lady with the highest number of points in each division will win GOTY.
- In addition to the Knockouts and Trophies listed below, there are also several external competitions that are played which are ruled by the relevant governing organisation; details can be found in the Ladies Competitions Rules Book which is in the Ladies locker room.
The maximum handicap index of 54 is allowed unless otherwise stated. For all internal singles competitions, the playing handicap will be 95% of the course handicap and for all internal team competitions the playing handicap will be 100% of the course handicap unless otherwise stated.
- The results of the singles competitions will be issued in 2 Divisions unless otherwise stated or advised by the Competitions Secretary.
- If there are 20 or less players there will be 1 division unless otherwise advised by the Competitions Secretary
- Where there are 2 or more divisions, these will be decided after the entry is closed so that numbers are as near equal as possible in each division
PRIZES FOR ALL COMPETITIONS (EXCEPT 9 HOLE COMPETITIONS)
- There must be at least 5 entries for a competition prize(s) to be awarded and there must be at least 8 entries to award a Trophy.
- Where cash prizes are awarded the prize fund will comprise the total entry fees paid, less a deduction of 20% which will be retained by the Ladies Section.
- The remaining 80% will be split as follows:One division: 2 prizes split 50:30Two divisions: 3 prizes split 20:15:5
- The winners of Medal competitions will also receive a £10 voucher paid for out of the Ladies Section’s funds.
- For pairs and team competitions there will be prizes for the top 2 pairs or teams if 20 players or less and for the top 3 pairs or teams for 21 or more players.
- Cash prizes will be allocated to the member’s bar card account.
- Trophy Winners will also receive their Divisional Prize.
- Juniors winnings will go to Ladies Section then golf ball(s) will be given to the value of the prize.
- Where prizes are bought by the Ladies Section (e,g, Spring and Autumn comps) then the whole of the prize fund will be used.
PRIZES FOR 9 HOLE COMPETITIONS
5 players no prize awarded; 6 players or more, winner receives £5, remaining money to Ladies Section.
- All knock out matches must be played by the date indicated for the round. If the course is closed for a period or periods of time the ladies committee will consider extending the allotted time. If there are personal extenuating circumstances then an extension will be considered by the knock-out competitions’ secretary and the Ladies Captain.
- Ties in Matchplay Competitions will be decided by extra holes played in sequence from the first hole played in the match, with handicap strokes allocated as in the first 18 holes (or 9 holes for a 9 hole knockout).
- The prize fund will comprise the total entry fees paid and vouchers will be given to the winners and runners up.
FLEXI AND LIFESTYLE MEMBERS
- Flexi members and lifestyle members can win an individual competition and the prize credit but not the associated Trophy, with the exception of age related competitions (Hollington, Bardswell, Bucknell).
- A team containing a flexi or lifestyle member may not win any internal Mid Herts Golf Club team competition (e.g. Crystal Stableford, Kaye Trevor Greensomes, Carnell Carter 4BBB), nor any external competition (e.g. PING 4BBB, Australian Spoons, Coronation Foursomes and Daily Mail Foursomes), nor go forward to represent the Club.
- Flexi or lifestyle members may win fun team competitions.
- Flexi or lifestyle members may play in Home friendly matches on payment of the green fee and match fee for catering. They may also play in away friendly matches but must make a contribution to the Lady Captain’s charity in lieu of the green fee plus pay the usual match fee for catering.
- Flexi or lifestyle members may not enter any knockouts
- Junior members playing in adult Club competitions must play with and have their cards marked by an adult member who is eligible for the competition and who ideally is not a parent.
- Juniors playing in Club competitions will not pay an entry fee and may not win monetary prizes including vouchers.
- Buggies may be used in all internal competitions except the Rees/Gregory Ladies’ Club Championship when permission must be sought from the Lady Captain in advance.
- For External Competitions, please refer to the relevant website.
Summer Trophy Knock-out Competitions
|Davis Cup||Summer scratch knock-out. Qualification is by the best 16 gross scores from the March and April Medals & the Spring Meeting. Ties decided by extra holes played in sequence from the first hole played.|
|Donald-Wright Rose Bowl||Ladies’ knock-out for handicap Index between 22.5 – 28.4. Played over 18 holes. Full course handicap difference. Ties decided by extra holes played in sequence from the first hole played, with handicap allowance as in first eighteen holes.|
|Silver Salver||Ladies’ knock-out for handicap Indexes up to 22.4. Played over 18 holes. Full course handicap difference. Ties decided by extra holes played in sequence from the first hole played, with handicap allowance as in first eighteen holes.|
|Ladies’ pairs knock out foursomes. All ladies qualify but maximum combined handicap index 56.4. Shots are the difference between half combined course handicap. Played over 18 holes. Ties decided by extra holes played in sequence from the first hole played, with handicap allowance as in first eighteen holes.|
|Swallow Trophy||Ladies’ knock-out for handicaps Indexes of 28.5 – 54. Played over 9 holes. Full course handicap difference. Ties decided by extra holes played in sequence from the first hole played, with handicap allowance as in first nine holes.|
|Temple Cup||Ladies’ knock-out for all handicaps. Played over 18 holes. Full course handicap difference. Ties decided by extra holes played in sequence from the first hole played, with handicap allowance as in first eighteen holes.|
Ladies knock-out for all handicaps. Played over 18 holes. Full course handicap difference. All rounds must be played at the weekend unless otherwise agreed between players except semi-finals and finals to be played at weekend. Ties decided by extra holes played in sequence from the first hole played, with handicap allowance as in first eighteen holes.
Winter Trophy Knock-out Competitions
|Winter Foursomes (Barbara Jones Trophy)||Ladies’ pairs knock out foursomes. Pairings are determined by a draw, one high/ one low handicap. All ladies qualify but maximum combined handicap index 56.4. Shots are the difference between half combined course handicap. Played over 18 holes. Ties decided by extra holes played in sequence from the first hole played, with handicap allowance as in first eighteen holes.|
|Weekend Boxes||As below but played at the weekend|
Ladies’ match play competition. Full course handicap difference. Played over 14 holes. Players score 2 points for a win and 1 point for a halved match. In the event of a 2-way box tie, the original match result between those two players will determine the winner, with a play-off if that match was a draw. In the event of a 3-way box tie, a play-off will be held with full handicap, using the 4-2-1/4-1-1 or 3-3-0 scoring system for winning/losing or halving a hole. Winners of each box go on to play Match play Knockout Semi Final and Final.
Other Trophy Competitions
Stableford for those aged over 65, played in the Autumn over 14 holes.
Stableford for those aged over 65, played in the Spring, over 14 holes.
36 hole stroke play. Played off scratch (in conjunction with the Glover Trophy which is awarded to best nett)
Carnell/Carter 4BBB Trophy
|4 Ball Better Ball Stableford. 85% of course handicap. If there is a 3 ball, lowest handicap player can partner both remaining ladies in order to form 2 teams|
Clay Putting Trophy
|Played in conjunction with a summer medal competition. Players must record the number of putts taken, once on the green.|
|3-ball team event played in January, February and March. Stableford. Best 2 out of 3 scores to count. Overall prize for best accumulative 3 month score for team with same team members each month provided there are a minimum of 8 such teams plus monthly prizes for monthly winners. Prizes chosen by Lady Captain with a “crystal” theme.|
36 hole stroke play (in conjunction with the Caithness Trophy which is awarded to the best gross)
|Hollington Trophy||Stableford for those aged over 70.|
|Howell Trophy||Stroke play. Played in conjunction with a medal. Winner qualifies for the Maldwyn Jones|
Stroke play. Played in conjunction with a medal. Winner qualifies for the Maldwyn Jones
|Judy George Trophy||Stableford.|
|Kaye Trevor Trophy||
Greensome Stableford Lower handicap x 0.6 + higher handicap x 0.4
|Lady Captain’s Trophy||Best nett stableford score on Lady Captain’s Day|
|Maldwyn Jones Cup||Stroke play for divisional winners of medal competitions from September to
August, plus divisional winners of Spring and Autumn meetings. Played in September.
|Millennium Trophies||Stroke play. Played in conjunction with a medal. Trophies awarded for best gross and best nett scores. Best nett score qualifies for the Maldwyn Jones.|
|Rees/Gregory Club Championship||36 hole stroke play, played over two days, not necessarily consecutive. Play off same handicap both days. Play in 3s, draw for playing order. Order of play: 1st day: as per draw, with Lady Captain playing with Chris Gregory out first. 2nd day: lowest gross scores out first. Results that are tied after the 1st round, use the back 9 to determine the order of play for 2nd round. Ties after second round decided by a 4-hole play-off on Holes 1,2,17 & 18 for the Rees Trophy (best gross score) and on countback for the Gregory Trophy (best nett score)|
|Slater Trophy||Stableford for Grannies. (Includes step Grannies)|
|Wolfdancer Trophy||Shared by best nett winners at Spring and Autumn Meetings.|